Since many members of the WVCO family are University or Oregon grads and fans, we thought this would be a good time to say “GO DUCKS” now that football season is underway. Here in Eugene, U of O Football is practically a religion! You should see us on game days, this town (and WVCO’s facility) practically bleeds green and yellow!
The Ducks have been a shining star in college football circuit these past few years under the the leadership of Chip Kelly and now Mark Helfrich (from Coos Bay!). We’re happy to say that things are looking better than ever for our Ducks, it’s time to win the National Championship!
Think you know the Ducks? Here’s some fun facts to show off at your next viewing party.
- The Oregon teams were originally known as the Webfoots until it was officially changed in 1978.
- The football program got its start in 1893. The first game was played in February 22, 1894 and resulted in a victory over Albany College! The score? 46 – 0.
- 2014 was a record setting year for the Ducks, with 13 wins breaking the school record.
- Donald Duck, the Duck’s mascot, is the only sports mascot that uses a Disney character.
- The Ducks have never won a National Championship (yet!).
- The duck has never been displayed on the team helmet, despite popular belief. The helmets have either been blank, displayed a number, an interlocking U & O, or just the Oregon O.